Monday, October 1, 2012

Tuesday Afternoon Ride Sept 18

Went for a short afternoon ride last Tuesday, hunting some fall color. I wasn't disappointed, and even got a nice surprise. Will let the pics do the talking.


Squaw Pass near the entrance to Mt. Evans (which is closed)


Loveland Pass, as you can see the smoke is still around


On my way to Leadville enjoying the mountain roads I started looking for a spot for a late lunch. Passed an unmarked parking lot with a dirt road leading out the back end. Turn around! Google would later reveal I had stumbled upon Mayflower Gulch, and man am I glad I did. Here's the start of the dirt road:


Bumped down about 1.5 miles of 4x4 road, even slid through a little snow here and there...


The road started to open up a little bit, I had no clue what was up ahead but knew it was going to be good!


WOW! Look at this!


I had stumbled upon the old Boston Mine, which I had to Google later as there were no signs or markings anywhere.





One of my favorite snapshots from the area:


Back to pavement we go....




Woodchuck in the parking lot!


The Climax Mine at Freemont Pass (Wiki link)



How about some Shrine Pass action?




Ran into these guys closer to Vail pass... There were easily a few hundred of them coming up the mountain. The herder was tailing along at the back leading his horse. He was, uh, interesting looking and couldn't even manage a smile when I waived. He just hit more of his sheep with his pole. Yeah, I kept moving... Great day though!!


More pics if you're interested! 63 photo slideshow







No comments:

Post a Comment