Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I miss my friend

Yesterday was the second anniversary of the death of a good friend of mine, Jerrimy Walker.

He was killed and his wife Stacy seriously injured in a motorcycle accident on December 28, 2008 at 1:30pm. 
He was not at fault, and one of two people who caused the accident was never found.

I was in the air at 35,000 feet yesterday at the time of the accident, 
flying home from the family Christmas in Pennsylvania. 
I would like to think maybe I was closer to Jerrimy, but it was mostly just really lonely.

As soon as the plane landed in Denver,
I put on my MP3 player for the first time, to distract me and keep me from tearing up in public.
You guessed it, Rocketman, Jerrimy's tribute song, was the first song to come on.
Ever cried in an airport?

The most appropriate thing I can think of to post in Jerrimy's memory is
what I put for him on his cross at the accident site:

To laugh often and much
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends
To appreciate beauty
To find the best in others
To leave the world a bit better
whether by a healthy child
a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived
This is to have succeeded.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I went back through my notes preparing for the funeral, and detailing the days surrounding it.
My first line when brainstorming what to say in front of everyone:
"When I first met Jerrimy I thought, 'holy shit that's some red hair!'" LOL!


I miss so many things from back then.
I am so incredibly grateful to have Stacy.
I feel blessed to have known Jerrimy.
I am thankful for my motorcycle family.


Proof positive that today is a new and beautiful opportunity to honor Jerrimy's memory:



Parting thought, because I know Jerrimy wouldn't want us to be sad....

No comments:

Post a Comment