Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Denver Auto Show, March 25

Annual tradition! Karla and I had a great time again at the Denver Auto show. Here are some highlights!

I totally dig the truck bed liner. Those that have known me a while, remember when I truck bed liner-ed (?) all the tins (tank, fenders, side covers) on one of my bikes (a vtwin cruiser). It looked sweet! Seeing it again makes me want to go ape shit with the stuff all over again. How about the Forester? Or the bike? Oh yeah, both would look awesome. You can get about any color you want! Here's a side note though, check out this guy's bumper... Wow that sticks way far out there! Talk about decreasing your approach angle.   I doubt this truck has seen much, if any, serious offroad use.


Wow Lincolns are getting worse and worse. They look terrible on the outside, and now look what they are doing to the interiors! Someone needs to just shoot the dead horse here.



The Fiat 500s, while not a new story, are far more appropriate on the inside. What a grin. Here's a shocker though, according to the window sticker the Ford Fiesta gets better fuel mileage than the Fiat 500 (for the automatics)!! Yeah, I was surprised too. Anyways, atleast the interior is fun.


I know it's massive, and kinda gawdy, and a gas guzzler, and the quality probably sucks.... But I will admit, this Chrysler 300 SRT8 got my juices flowing... This thing was huge in every way.


I love huge rear ends. On cars. Not on women.



Oooooh yeah. I don't like chrome. BUT black chrome... Ooooooh yeah.
Side note: I bet you'd want bigger brakes to stop this goliath.


Watched an over 6 foot guy plop down in here, the interior just sucked him right in. I'm sure I looked tiny sitting in it! It was beautiful in here. Leather dashboard with beautiful stitching even!



Look what Karla found! The new Dodge "Dork!" No really, the way the name is written in that font, your mind first thinks you've read "dork" instead of "dart." Hahahaha, we had a good laugh.


Karla fell in love with this. I believe it was her favorite vehicle of the entire show. We talked to the sales guy, this is a Mopar kit, just to make it a truck, doesn't include lift, tires, etc. You buy a 4 door Rubicon for $33k or so to start out with. Then, get this, either you buy the kit from Mopar for $3k and install it yourself. OR you can have the dealership install the kit for you for $22k. Yes, another $22k! I couldn't believe it, the sales guy actually said that with a straight face... Anyways, Karla wasn't paying any attention, she was too busy drooling.





I expected the redesigned beetle to have much fanfare. Hell, atleast a podium. Nope, it didn't even get it's own sign. Seems VW isn't interested in promoting it. Karla and I agree a man, gay or straight, can now drive this without having to turn in his man card.


More good looking fat butts. Haha, Karla laughs at me... I can't help it, I like huge rear ends!


We both liked the new Sonic 5 door. What we couldn't figure is why you could play with, sit in, etc the 4 door, but the 5 door was behind barriers? Yeah.... Bummer.


Karla loves Corvettes, so I always leave her to drool a bit over their display while I search for a lunch option.


Decided to head to old reliable Subway a few blocks away. Look what we spotted in a parking lot nearby! Yep, that's the new Subaru BRZ! We hadn't gotten to the Subaru section of the show yet, but once we did we had a good laugh. You couldn't hardly get close to the BRZ at the show, but here's one just sitting in the parking lot! Dumb move Subaru, let the fans touch your new stuff, don't act all exclusive it's not your style.



We saw loads of other Subaru fans stopping to oogle as well. One guy even stopped his car right in the parking lot exit to get out and take a look. The BRZ doesn't much interest me as a purchase, I think the Miata is a better buy. We'll see what the BRZ is like, and what Subaru does with it, in another 5 years and then maybe it'll be a MX-5 contender.



This one hurts the eyeballs...



Wait! It gets worse! Ahhhhhh my retinas. I was worried it would crack the camera lens. 



Thankfully there was plenty of eyeball therapy and rehabilitation available.



Yes, starting to feel much better.


I'm not really a raging bull fan, but this one raises the hairs on the back of my neck.


We spotted the 5 Hour Energy booth... It's always a challenge to see how many times you can walk by and get free samples....


Then we spotted this rather shiny thing, which no joke, was an advertisement for a jewelry cleaning product.... Yeah, talk about a bit of a stretch with the advertising. I had no words.


Saw the new Range Rover Evoque. Seems like it's marketed to the same people that drive the Range Rover Sport. Sad really, I miss the days when you could buy a new Defender 90 in the United States.



Found a rather dramatic nose...


The BRZ behind the padded rope. What a crock, I don't understand why Subaru wouldn't let us near it, BUT they would park one in the parking lot. 


Here's something we really liked, the new Impreza. I think of all the cars we saw today this is the one we would be most likely to buy. Fit Karla perfectly. I was impressed with it's interior size and looks a lot better in person than I thought it would. Priced competitively too.


Decent size "trunk," along with this huge back seat. Looking forward to seeing the WRX.



Ooooooo yeah.




I must be getting old, liking these big, go-fast cars.



Oh now that's pretty



More big, beautiful buts. 


The Z4 is looking nice.


The King.



Drooling   


Look ma, no roof!

 
We decided the A7 was nice from the front...


But looked rather like a dog scooting it's ass from behind...


Camp Jeep is always entertaining to watch.


Came around a corner and saw this... No joke, first thing that went through my head was "hey look, it's a hot tub on wheels!"


Holy cow it was ugly. 


We also found a huge chin!!   



We had a fantastic time, we'll be back next year for sure.

Full slideshow of 79 photos.




1 comment:

  1. Smash and Karla:

    Glad that you enjoyed the show again!

    Look me up next year for a complete guided tour.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete