Thursday, October 28, 2010

We have entered the 21st century!

That's right folks, like all the other serious riders I know, I have finally invested in and activated a SPOT satellite messenger. What is that you say? Well it's basically a GPS that sends a signal to a website every 10-15 minutes (depending on coverage) when turned on. It also will allow me to contact 911 services in the area, transmitting my exact location. Sending "OK" and "Help" messages to certain emails and phone numbers is another helpful feature. This has been on my list of "to buy" for a long time, as out here most of the riding is out of cell range. If you would like to know more about the product, here is their website. I have the first generation, not the fancy second gen.

I will not have the SPOT on all the time, just when out on the bike. I did place it out in the courtyard to test and everything seems dandy!

One word of caution... Please do not blow a lid if I'm out riding and this doesn't send a signal for 20minutes. Don't send the cavalry! I'm probably under tree cover too deep for the SPOT to get signal. Patience, and don't panic (I know this can be hard for certain Pritchards... lol). Also, I cannot send OK messages until I'm done with a ride, so don't be looking for those to pop up all the time! A help message will send a message to certain folks, and I will use it in non-medical emergency situations. Most likely I need someone with a pickup to help me with a broken down bike (yes, it's happened, more than once).

I have also pasted the tracking website into my profile, you will find it in the left column under "about me." You will have to copy and paste the link, my apologies!

Here is the link: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=22654cc9ca2878edb
Here is a secondary link: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0zyXx7NHuMjLx3rKCJdMfu2ttNU6YBSYj

If anyone has questions, please ask! You can comment on this post (or any posts, for that matter).


2 comments:

  1. "Patience, and don't panic (I know this can be hard for certain Pritchards... lol)" - And certain Bosnians, FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I have no idea why my profile name is "Trouble". Weird...

    ReplyDelete